The Octorara Area School District Board of Directors held their monthly Work Session Meeting on Monday, Feb,8 2016. Prior were the Policy and Facilities Committee meetings. Eight Board Members were in attendance at the start of the work session. Samuel Ganow arrived late.
The Facilities received a demonstration of new security cameras installed at the Jr/Sr High School. The District had many cameras that had gone beyond their life expectancy and/or were no longer working. The new cameras provide high resolution images, and can be accessed by Emergency Response wirelessly.
The CCIU continues to work to create an Infrastructure Report that the Facilities and Finance Committees can use for long range planning. They are spending 2 weeks in each of the District’s buildings to determine life expectancy of different aspects of the facility. The final report will be used to prioritize upgrades and repairs, and plan for capital fund needs.
The Board was informed that snow removal from “The Blizzard of 2016” cost the District $28,000. We will be applying to PEMA/FEMA for possible reimbursement. The maximum possible amount we could receive is $20,000.
The District’s electricity supplier is offering a 25% reduction in price in exchange for a 2 year commitment. The amount will represent a savings of 15% on the overall bill.
During the work session, the Board was informed Christine Sellers will transfer from a cafeteria employee to a lunch/playground supervisor at the Octorara Intermediate School effective February 16, 2016. (Replacing Tara Busby who resigned.)
The Board was presented with Agenda Items to be voted on at the February 15, 2016 Regular Monthly Public Meeting:
- That the Octorara Board of School Directors approve the Renewal of District Facilities Department Management Contract with the Chester County Intermediate Unit effective July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017 with a monthly fee of $7,065 per month.
- That the Octorara Board of School Directors approve the Fee Agreement between the Delaware County Public Schools Healthcare Trust and the Octorara Area School District for prescription benefit management effective May 1, 2016.
- That the Octorara Board of School Directors approve a pro-rated two hour facility rental for Fitness/Zumba Classes to be held one day per week through May 2016.
- That the Octorara Board of School Directors approve a half-year sabbatical for the second half of the 2016-2017 school year for Lauren Brotman for the purpose of study.
- That the Octorara Board of School Directors approve the following policies, first reading:
104 Equal Employment Practice
119 Current Events
124 Summer Camps
125 Special Programs
126 Class Size
140 Charter Schools
140.1 Extra-Curricular Participation by Charter/Cyber Charter Students
211 Student Accident Insurance
214 Class Rank
228 Student Government
234 Pregnant Students
235 Student Rights and Responsibilities
238 Parent of Record
251 Homeless Students
- That the Octorara Board of School Directors accept the resignation of Ms. Tara Busby as a lunch/playground supervisor at the Octorara Intermediate School effective January 28, 2016. (Hired December 14, 2015)
- That the Octorara Board of School Directors approve Mr. Richard Letts as a proctor for the AP exams effective May 2, 2016 pending completion of employee related documents required by law and the District. Mr. Letts’ rate will be $30 per hour.
- That the Octorara Board of School Directors approve the following substitute teachers for the 2015-2016 school year:
• Becky Taylor, Nurse
- That the Octorara Board of School Directors approve the following supplemental contracts for the 2014-2015 school year:
• Fallon Manchin – Mentor Lauren Daly Clark – 1.09 pts @ $600 – $654
• Ashley Stern – Jr Varsity Volleyball Coach – 6 pts @ $600 – $3,600
- That the Octorara Board of School Directors approve the following changes in salary due to graduate credits earned:
• Benjamin Creighton – From B ($43,535) to B+15 ($44,534) – Step 18 to MAX
• Melanie Johnson – From M+15 ($61,558) to M+30 ($63,586) – Step 14 to MAX
• Anthony Slusher – From B ($49,870) to B+15 ($51,009) – Step 17 to MAX