Three new (or new-ish) Members were expected to join the Octorara Area School Board of Directors: Brian Fox, Stephen Spoto, and Linda Bicking. Mr Spoto informed Dr Newcome and Board leadership that he is moving outside the Region he was elected. Once he moves, he would no longer be able to represent that Region.
Spoto had two options. He could have taken the oath of office, and served until on or about December 15-20, or simply not take the oath. If he had taken the oath he would have been able to sit for the December meetings. He chose to not take the oath.
The decision puts the Board in a precarious position. When a vacancy occurs, the Board must fill the position within 30 days. If he had waited, the Board would have had more time to accept applications, interview candidates, and deliberate. Now, keeping in mind that we are about to enter the winter holidays, the Board must make a decision and have the position filled by January 7th, the week before the January Work Session Meeting.
As a result, the Board has decided to place notice of the vacancy on the District website, and ask all interested individuals to appear at the December 14th Regular Meeting, to be publically interviewed and have deliberations. The term will be only for two years, which is 2017, the next Municipal Election year. If you would like to be considered, please visit the website or contact Dr Newcome for more information. You must live within Region 1 (Atglen Borough, Christiana Borough, Parkesburg-North, West Sadsbury Township).
Information from the Reorganization Meeting
Lisa Bowman was nominated by Hank Oleyniczak to maintain her position as Board President, and was re-elected by majority vote. Brian Norris was nominated by Linda Bicking to maintain her position as Board Vice-President, and was also re-elected by majority vote.
The following are hold-over Directors, each with terms expiring in 2017:
- Samuel Ganow (Region 2)
- Hank Oleyniczak (Region 2)
- Nelson Stoltzfus (Region 3)
- Timothy Alexander (Region 3)
The following are the newly elected Directors, who took their oath, with expiring terms in 2019.
- Brian Norris (Region 1)
- Linda Bicking (Region 1)
- Lisa Bowman (Region 2)
- Brian Fox (Region 3)
The Board President made the following appointments:
- Representative to the Lancaster County and Chester County Tax Collection Bureaus for the Calendar Year 2016 (Jeff Curtis)
- Alternative Representative to the Lancaster County and Chester County Tax Collection Bureaus for the Calendar Year 2016 (Matt Furlong)
- Legislative Committee Representative for the Calendar Year 2016 (Lisa Bowman)
- D.I.U./C.A.T. Board Representative (Term Expires 2017 – Timothy Alexander)
- E.P.S.B.A. Representative for the Calendar Year 2016 (Lisa Bowman)
- Personnel Committee (Nelson Stoltzfus-chair, Sam Ganow, Brian Norris)
- Facilities Committee (Nelson Stoltzfus-chair Brian Norris, Timothy Alexander, Linda Bicking)
- Policy Committee (Lisa Bowman-chair, Brian Fox, Hank Oleyniczak)
- Finance Committee (Sam Ganow-chair, Brian Norris, Tim Alexander)
- Representative to the Chester County School Authority (Term Expires 2021 – Brain Norris)
- Education Committee (Brian Norris-chair, Brian Fox, Lisa Bowman)
Added December 8, 2015 @ 11:09:24
Updated Information to Fill Region 1 Board Vacancy
If you live in Region 1 (Atglen Borough, Christiana Borough, Parkesburg North, or West Sadsbury Township) and are interested in serving as a Board Director, please submit a letter of interest and resume to Jill Hardy at 228 Highland Road, Ste 1; Atglen, PA 19310 or firstname.lastname@example.org. no later than 4:00 p.m., Monday, December 14, 2015. Interviews for this position will be held at the Regular Board Meeting on Monday, December 14, 2015 at 7:00 p.m. in the Jr. High School Multipurpose Room.