Yesterday evening had each of the newly elected School Directors sworn in my Judge Nancy Gill.
- Samuel Ganow / Region 2
- Hank Oleyniczak / Region 2
- Nelson Stolzfus / Region 3
- Timothy Alexander / Region 3
Lisa Bowman and Brian Norris were re-elected to the roles of President and Vice-Present, respectively.
The Following Appointments were made:
- Representative to the Lancaster County Tax Collection Bureau for the Calendar Year 2014: Dan Carsley
- Alternative Representative to the Lancaster County Tax Collection Bureau for the Calendar Year 2014: Kim McCully
- Legislative Committee Representative for the Calendar Year 2014: Lisa Bowman
- I.U./C.A.T. Board Representative (Term Expires 2014): Nelson Stoltzfus w/ Timothy Alexander’s name to be submitted in January for the 2014-15 term, starting in July.
- P.S.B.A. Representative for the Calendar Year 2014: Sam Ganow
- Personnel Committee: Nelson Stoltzfus-chair, Sam Ganow, Brian Norris
- Facilities Committee: Nelson Stoltzfus-chair Brian Norris, Shawna Johnson, Leon Lapp
- Policy Committee: Shawna Johnson-chair, Lisa Bowman, Sam Ganow
- Finance Committee: Sam Ganow-chair, Brian Norris, Shawna Johnson
- Representative to the Chester County School Authority (Term Expires 2016): Nelson Stoltzfus
- Education Committee: Brian Norris-chair, Sheri Melton, Lisa Bowman
Meeting Times: After some discussion, it was decided the Octorara Area Board of School Directors will meet in Regular Session in the Jr./Sr. High School on the third Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. (changed from 7:30 p.m.) and that the Board Work Sessions will normally be held the second Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. (changed from 7:30) in the Jr./Sr.
The annual Reorganization Meeting will be held on December 1, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.(changed from 7:30) followed by the December Work Session. The December 2014 Regular Monthly Public Board Meeting will be held on December 8, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. (changed from 7:30). Additionally, the Octorara Area Board of School Directors will meet only once in July, for a combined Work/Regular Session Meeting.
The change to Board Meeting times will also impact Committee Meetings. Starting next week, the Policy Committee will move from 6:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., and the Finance Committee will move from 6:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
The Work Session portion on the Meeting provided little beyond the Facilities and Education Committee reports. The Work Session included no presentations, visitors’ comments, or informational items. The presentation of Agenda Items, for the December 9th Regular Monthly Public Meeting, was as stated in the Work Session Agenda.
Facilities Committee Report
Mr. Stolzfus gave the report:
- 250 desks were scrapped, producing $226.80.
- Students needing a Senior Project were used as labor.
- The money will be applied to the $3,500 remaining on the Braves statue.
- The CCIU will be presenting their “Long Range Capital Improvement Plan,” for district buildings, in January.
- The Committee settled on the use of a wireless well pump, to replace the one damaged. The District will now communicate with the insurance company.
- The High School Concession stand renovations are complete, and awaiting Health Department inspection.
- Each group must provide a Certified Food Handler in order to sell prepared foods.
- The Field Development Task Force met this evening:
- Night of Champions/Spaghetti Dinner will be January 25th.
- An event with Victory Brewing is in the development stage.
- The District applied for a grant based on a “Signal 88” like contract, not for a School Resource Officer.
- Signal 88, and like companies, can provide armed security.
- The Board has the right to reject the grant if awarded.
Education Committee Report
Mr Norris gave the report:
- Elena Wilson reviewed the Comprehensive Plan, and list of goals and strategies thru 2016, which the Board will vote on next week.
- Elena Wilson will provide another presentation next week, at the Regular Meeting, before the vote.
- Comprehensive Plan will be available on the District website.
- The plan is a “living document,” and changes can be made as needed.
- Scott Rohrer briefly updated the Committee on the Parent iPad Training Seminar.
- Elena Wilson updated the Committee on Learning Focus, and classroom checks.
In Other News
Dr. Newcome will attempt to revive the Town Hall Meetings starting in January, and a schedule will be forthcoming. He had conducted the meetings from 2005 to 2010, but dwindling participation led to the belief they had lost their usefulness. However, now that some time has past, there may be renewed interest for people who do cannot make Board Meetings.
Both the PLC and Intermediate School have decorated trees on display at Longwood Gardens. No holiday is complete without a visit to Longwood Gardens, where more than 400,000 twinkling lights and spectacular fountain shows compose a brilliant wonderland your family is sure to love.